Saturday, September 24, 2011

Where Are the Active People Over 30???

I've been noticing a trend...
The active people around here are mainly under 30 years old. By active, I mean:
  • Going to the gym regularly
  • Running in the park
  • Training martial arts/crossfit/etc.
  • Dancers (including bboys)
  • People who go out to nightlife social events
Where I lived in the US, I was used to people being very active in their "Dirty" 30's. It was very common to find people who were 30+ doing all of the things (and more) from the list above. Here not so much...

Whenever I participate in various activities and events here, I'm usually one of the oldest people. In fact, a few weeks back, I entered a Jiu Jitsu tournament and because I'm over 30, they wanted to put me in the "Senior" category!!!! What??? (FYI, I entered the regulary category and beat the 20 years olds that I "fought" to win first place).

For me and my friends back home, 30's are the new 20's, but here, 30's seem like the new 40's.

Some might argue that the mentality here is more of "get married and start a family soon" than it is in the US. While I know it might be a little harder, what law says that you can't be active if you are married or have a family???


No comments:

Post a Comment